Food Labels – Sugar what to look for?By
- Sugar Free = No added or naturally occurring sugar
- No Added Sugar = No extra sugar added
- Reduced Sugar = At least 25% less sugar than standard product
Check the ‘Carbohydrates’ (of which sugars) figure in the nutrition information panel on the label.
Read the following guidelines:
- A lot of sugar = 10g of sugar or more per 100g
- Moderate Sugar = Between 2g and 10g of sugar per 100g
- Low Sugar = Less than 5g of sugar per 100g
- A little sugar = 2g of sugar or less per 100g
No Added Sugar
No added sugar doesn’t mean that the food is sugar- free or even low in sugar it may still be high in naturally occurring sugars such as those found in fruit, juices and milk.